The NABE Diversity & Inclusion Initiative and Committee were formed in May 2019, with the charges to:
1. Explore the current state of diversity and inclusion within NABE and member workplaces.
2. Suggest best practices to the NABE Board for NABE operations (conference planning, nominating committee, etc.).
3. Suggest tactics to the NABE Board for broadening and diversifying the business economist candidate pipeline.
4. Suggest tactics to the NABE Board to measure NABE’s progress going forward.
Accomplishments To Date:
- NABE Diversity Scholars Program:
Launched in June 2020, this five-year program expands on current NABE Foundation scholarship programs by providing scholarships to NABE conferences to minority early-career economists and minority students pursuing a career in applied economics.
Meet the 2021 NABE Diversity Scholars
NABE Press Release on 2021 Diversity Scholars (5/20/2021)
NABE Press Release on Diversity Scholars Program (6/25/2020)
- Webinar discussions on diversity/inclusion topics:
NABE Diversity Roundtable Events page
Past webinars include "Financing Growth in Women and Minority-Owned Businesses" (April 20, 2021; replay available to NABE Members on the Digital Archive page), "Diversity and Inclusion in the Workplace" (June 1, 2020; replay available to NABE Members on the Digital Archive page), "Healthcare Inequality in the U.S." (June 22, 2020; replay available to NABE Members on the Digital Archive page), and "Race, Mobility, and Fairness in the U.S. Economy" with Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta President Raphael Bostic and Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis President Neel Kashkari (June 30, 2020; replay available here).
- Conversations with corporate diversity officers:
The committee is launching a series of conversations with corporate diversity officers to learn more about best practices and help in the development of NABE diversity and inclusion efforts going forward.
Questions? Ideas? Contact [email protected].
Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta
Manuel Balmaseda, CBE
MacroPolicy Perspectives, LLC
Mossavar-Rahmani Center for Business and Government
Harvard Kennedy School
LaVaughn Henry, CBE
Constance Hunter, CBE
Harvard Business School
Bureau of Economic Analysis
Luis Torres, CBE
Real Estate Center at Texas A&M University